This condition can happen when the memory becomes full in the Kestrel. Clearing the memory log should fix this condition. Please try doing the following:
- Take the batteries out of the Kestrel.
- Hold down the power button for 30 seconds
- Put the batteries back into the Kestrel.
- Turn on the Kestrel. Wait several minutes (could take a little while so be patient) until the pixilation clears and you can press buttons.
- Go to Main Menu->Memory Options and clear the data log.
- After data log is cleared, turn Kestrel off and then back on. It should startup quicker now.
For more information on taking accurate measurements seeTips for Taking Accurate Measurements.